Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Button Wall Art

Wow! It has been a busy week around here! But a good kind of busy! When I finally had a few minutes to sit down in my studio, I really wasn't in the layout mood but knew I wanted to do something creative. I started looking around and stumbled upon a huge tin of buttons that my grandmother had saved. When my dad and his siblings wore out their clothes (which they truly did.... if they out grew it, it got passed on to a sibling who then passed it on... you get the idea!) my grandmother would cut off the buttons and save them. Well, this was good for me because my mother passed this tin on to me and the buttons are amazing! The first night I had them, Lauren and I spent an evening just looking through them! Anyway, I got out the buttons and then found an old frame (that I had painted and sanded and inked!). I created a background out of burlap and got busy! This is what I created...

I made a B since that is the first letter of my parent's last name. I plan to give this to them. I think Dad will like it since all of the buttons belong to him and his siblings!

I added in a few epoxy buttons I made with my Epiphany Craft's button maker. I liked the way I could add some patterned paper to break up the solid colors of the buttons. To fill in some space, I used the pearls that I found in that tin of buttons!

Thanks for stopping by! Be sure to hop on over to Frosted Designs... we announced our new Design team earlier today!

Pin It

6 comments:

Dawnll said...

Such a wonderful idea! I also have a container from my childhood, my mother cut off my buttons and saved for me
Hope your doing well sweetie

Sarah said...

I LOVE this Barb!! What a great idea! It makes me want to go make one for each of my boys!!

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

This is such a great gift idea! He is sure to appreciate such a thoughtful gifts! Vintage buttons are so awesome!
Carri~abusybee
www.doubleclickconnections.blogspot.com

Lynn said...

WOW Barb! I love this idea. What a beautiful gift this will be. The story behind the buttons is so heartwarming.

chillin with Quillin said...

What a great idea and great gift, they will love it!!!
Paula

Becky B. said...

Love the button monogram B, and love the story about your grandma's buttons. Funny thing, I inherited my grandma's and mother-in-law's button boxes...and I too cut the buttons off of old/discarded clothing to add to their buttons. :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio